Paella with seafood and chicken (4 people)
1 Garlic bulb
1 Green pepper
1 Red pepper
5 Ripe Tomatoes
200 grams of Shrimps
150 grams of Mussels
150 grams of clams
1/2 Chicken (in pieces)
A pinch of saffron
2 tsp of Salt
1 tsp food colorant
1 cup of arborio rice (round rice)
2 cups of hot water
Instructions to cook:
1, In a "paellera" (special fry pan) put 3 to 4 table spoons of oil to heat. Meanwhile, peel the garlic bulb not on its entirety, but keeping it together and cut it all the way around without split it. Place it on the paellera.
2. Wash and clean the peppers, cut them in stripes and place them on the paellera. Stir them in medium heat until they are tender.
3. Now wash and peel the tomatoes, take one by one and squeeze them on the sink, to avoid the exceed water. Dice them and add them to the rest of the ingredients. Follow the pictures below.
4. Stir the tomatoes for about 10 minutes until they become more creamy. In the meantime, wash and clean the chicken, separate it into pieces. If you are using chicken breast, dice it. Now add the chicken to the rest of the ingredients.
5. Once the chicken is sealed, it's time to add the rice. You will use 1 cup of rice for every 4 people. Stir the rice for 3 to 4 minutes so the rice takes the flour of the ingredients.
6. At this point we are going to add the hot water. So, it is going to be the double amount of water that the amount of rice. On this recipe we have used 1 cup of rice, therefore, now we are going to add 2 cups of hot water.
7. It is the time to add the salt, the food colorant and the saffron.
8. We will add te seafood, in this case we used shrimps, clams and mussels but in other occasions we have used squid rings. Spread them over the rice. We stop stirring the rice until the end of the cook. Leave boiling at medium heat until the rice is done.
9. Serve yourself a "tapa" while waiting, it can take around 25 minutes to be ready. If you see the rice is needing water but is still not done, add some more hot water.
10. Once in a while we are going to move the paellera, not stirring with a wooden spoon but grabbing the pan handles and shaking it carefully.
11. Once your rice is ready, serve it warm and Enjoy!
Recipe and cooked by: Jesus Carnero